Tennis was introduced to Sri Lanka by the British.
The History of the association began when a few
planters and tennis enthusiasts met together to foam
the Ceylon Lawn Tennis Association in 1915. His
Excellency Governor Sir Robert Chalmers, then, the
head of the land was the President of the
association. The Association continued to have
governors as it's presidents till 1946. Governor
being busy with state affairs, the responsibility
for managing the association fell on the shoulders
of the Secretary, Mr. R.g. Coombs, who later elected
to vice president and president. The Association was
managed by a general committee and a District
committee represented by Uva, Dickoya, Nuwara eliya,
Gampola, Dambulla, Kandy, Ratnapura,, Colombo, Galle,
Kelani Vallyey, Kalutara districts and the Services
represented by the Army and Navy.
The Association had its headquarters at the "Chalet"
in Nuwara Ellya.It conducted a number of tournaments
on the courts of Colombo Lawn club, situated at
Victoria Park on the Municipal Council Property.
When the Municipal council wanted to expand it's
park, the lawn club members were asked to seek
membership of the adjoining Garden club. The members
faced tough situation as the Garden club was the
exclusive preserve of the European community.
However on the intervention of the Mayor of Colombo,
the lease of the Garden club was terminated and the
tennis courts were made available to the Lawn Tennis
Association in 1954 during the presidency of T.E. De
The year 1971 saw a major change in the constitution
of the Association initiated by the President M. T.
Thiruchittampalam, The association then composed of
individual members with voting rights and
representatives of affiliated clubs with out voting
rights. This naturally did not meet the needs of a
national body and hence numerous changes were
incorporated. Today it is known as the Sri Lanka
Tennis Association. Two years back, under the
presidency of Mr. Lalith Within, a restructuring of
the association was affected. The affairs of the
Association are being managed by the president and a
general committee elected by the membership at the
annual general meeting. A Chief Executive Officer by
the Association, is responsible for the
administration of the office